40 years ago today 3/6/1984, a product that changed the world

jaxe:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_boob::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-07 01:40:54(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 6822
Uploads: 0

The world's first cell phone went on sale 40 years ago 3/6/1984.

2.5 lbs, took almost 11 hours to fully charge for 30 min of talk time.

Cost $3,995: $11,858 in today money.

Minimum wage was $3.35 per hour. So you can imagine how many hours a person had to work to afford a $3,995 phone plus the sales tax and don't forget to figure in income tax and social security taxes be deducted from each $3.35 before it's issued on a paycheck.

Image error Image error Image error Image error Image error

Post liked by - sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, shameless:_trusted_user:, imonline:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Barharmar:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, appdoze:_verified_uploader::_male::_turtle:, Melg:_trusted_user::_female:
jaxe:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_boob::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-07 02:05:57(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 6822

My first car cell phone was in 1985, it sat in a cradle that's bolted to the floor next to me on the driver's seat.

Cost me $1500 and $200 a month for service.

Image error

Then 2 years later I moved up to my first portable car cell phone that wasn't stuck to the car

Image error

Post liked by - sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, imonline:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Barharmar:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
imonline:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-07 13:04:55(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 3035

jaxe wrote:

Then 2 years later I moved up to my first portable car cell phone that wasn't stuck to the car

Image error
My first cell phone was a bag phone, like the one mentioned above.  I won it, along with a 1 year subscription from the local cell phone service provider.  Your name was registered for a draw when you visited a new car exhibit at a local car dealership.  I kept it for a couple of years.

Post liked by - sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Superbikemike:_moderator::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-08 19:45:56(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 7051

had the one stuck in the truck motorola huge box under the passenger seat service was free, never went forward from there toss em all while you can.... found out real quick there for the overly yappy who just cant seem to shut the fk up .....
did you have one growing up no well you turned out ok huh...
then you dont need one now especially when your kids would rather be on the phone then out in the woods getting dirty like kids are supposed to do shitty parents :_facepalm:_facepalm

Post liked by - hayzee56:_moderator::_male:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, shameless:_trusted_user:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
shameless:_trusted_user:Posted at 2024-03-08 20:14:10(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 85

Superbikemike wrote:

had the one stuck in the truck motorola huge box under the passenger seat service was free, never went forward from there toss em all while you can.... found out real quick there for the overly yappy who just cant seem to shut the fk up .....
did you have one growing up no well you turned out ok huh...
then you dont need one now especially when your kids would rather be on the phone then out in the woods getting dirty like kids are supposed to do shitty parents :_facepalm:_facepalm
Unless you live in alaska having the kids outside they go missing :_alien

Post liked by - panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, hayzee56:_moderator::_male:, Superbikemike:_moderator::_turtle:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Superbikemike:_moderator::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-09 01:29:09(7Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 7051

ok well did not think about that thought about all the shit we use to do.. wiff was real quick to remind me things are not the same now than they were then either .. my bad ... :_facepalm:_facepalm:_facepalm

Post liked by - shameless:_trusted_user:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:

Sitefriends