AV1

B0NE:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-17 06:52:31(5Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 479
Uploads: 7035

Whats everyones thoughts on AV1 codec ?

ive recently had a couple of AV1 Source files and handbrake wouldn't recognise them the runtime was zero had to run them through Avidemux but recently is a option to encode it

i get handful of complaints for using HEVC because of they have not got codecs in players trying to use so i would imagine AV1 would be worse considering its new

google says its better than HEVC with small sizes

ive not tried it myself sticking with AVC or HEVC for now..

Post liked by - zuluDROOG:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, MadWatchdog:_moderator:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, hayzee56:_moderator::_male:
Saturn5:_trusted_uploader::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2024-03-18 01:47:55(5Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 109
Uploads: 30381

It may or may not be better, but no one really cares.

The "standard" people use is HEVC (normally x265), so I'll be sticking with that.

Its a bit like Betamax v VHS - BM was considered better, but everyone used VHS as the "standard", so it didnt matter.

Post liked by - zuluDROOG:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, B0NE:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
B0NE:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-18 02:24:15(5Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 479
Uploads: 7035

ive not really looked into it ye im sticking with HEVC i still sometimes use AVC it depends how it looks when i do sample testing

only seen Zero0 and couple other using it

Post liked by - zuluDROOG:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2024-03-23 12:14:46(5Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 390
Uploads: 0

I tried AV1 using the NVIDIA encoder using the same low bitrate as an NVENC H265 clip and the AV1 clip turned out really blocky, As i`m on PC i dont have an issue playing files and prefer any thing that will save me hard drive space ( even tho i have plenty of terrabytes). I dont think Handbrake or NVIDA is quite there yet in terms of ultra low bitrates, tho over time will improve. Those with technical knowledge and are able to navigate the complicated UI of Staxrip may have better results. Ive seen a few AV1 1gigabyte size in 1080p 1hr30 movies on this site, they arent exactly super high quality but still... making alot of progress, so will be curious to look out for future releases.

Last edited by realityshow on 2024-03-26 09:49:09

Post liked by - B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-03-23 13:37:18(5Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 2255
Uploads: 158

Saturn5 wrote:

It may or may not be better, but no one really cares.

The "standard" people use is HEVC (normally x265), so I'll be sticking with that. :_:O:_:O:_:O:_facepalm

Its a bit like Betamax v VHS - BM was considered better, but everyone used VHS as the "standard", so it didnt matter.
Can't stand HEVC x265 with it's grainy as fooook look (mascarading as definition:_:-):_facepalm)...slow ass re-encoding when using HEVC files also:_facepalm...i can only imagine the outcome when using AV1 to ultra compress a file:_facepalm:_facepalm
I teach my encoder to use what it needs to give me beautification, regardless of size/bitrate/compression:_:-*:_party

It's a bit like LazerDisc v Betamax/VHS....Betamax sucked a plum big time, VHS got worse the more you played it...but at least ya movie looked magic with LazerDisc:_party:_party:_pirate

Post liked by - RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, LiberalLesbo:_trusted_user::_female::_boob::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:
zuluDROOG:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2024-04-11 14:17:33(2Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 967
Uploads: 0

I like the AV1 codec because it out-paces HEVC at higher resolutions and the quality:compression is amazing. But I've held back because my Intel NUC is getting long in the tooth just won't put out on 4K files. The Kodi I'm running doesn't support it either (Kodi DOES support AV1 since v20). But no point updating libreelec when I know the i5 processor in the NUC won't handle the big jobs. When I get around to getting my next media unit (Pi5--much cheaper and so punchy now) I'll definitely be getting into AV1. I've just been too lazy to pull the trigger.

Edit: I know I'm not an uploader, just a lowly user. But I do encode from source material when I can find it. Just thought I could contribute--hope that's OK.

Last edited by zuluDROOG on 2024-04-11 14:23:28

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, imonline:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Barharmar:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:

Sitefriends