Where the TV Show or Film is much better than the Book ?

realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2023-11-30 15:02:18(21Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 390
Uploads: 0

On many occasions people always wanna state the book is much better than the film etc.

I am wondering if anyone has had an instance where they found the film or tv show to be far better that the book?

My recent experience was with the "Wayward Pines" Trillogy of books by Blake Crouch.  I  was introduced to "Wayward Pines" firsty thru the TV series starring Matt Dillion (season 1)& Jason Patrick (season 2) but sadly never got to experience season 3 as the show was cancelled, and ended on a decent cliffhanger which hinted what would have come for  a potential season 3  storyline.

On reading the books i was not very impressed at all. Sure; there was more insight into the story and got to read alternative outcomes which completely differed from the show which was sort of intresting; however all 3 books only covered season 1, and even so was pretty dull.

My conclusion is that the TV series was far superior than these boring books, yes Blake Crouch the Author collaborated on the TV adaptation but the true credit goes the the amazing TV show writers which really fleshed out and put some real character into the TV series. In fact i`m pretty amazed by what the TV show writers accomplished. Season 2 whilst not in the books, complimented the series nicely. Even for season 1 of the TV show had a much better storyline that its novels!

If i had started on the books before the series, i doubt i`d have watched the TV series at all, as the books were;  in my opinion "very medicore".

Last edited by realityshow on 2023-11-30 15:06:29

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, PhoenixRising:_kitty::_turtle:
TheAlgerian:_male:Posted at 2023-12-01 16:45:53(21Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 0

If you ask book readers, never.

However, you can have 12 book readers say an adaptation is trash, but if any one of them had a say in how the adaptation was made, and was satisfied with the result, the other 11 would still say it's trash.

That's one of the main problems with book adaptation, folks who read the book will be the first to rush to see them and then they'll poison the well with their reviews based on extremely unrealistic expectations.

Like you can take any moment in a book that could NEVER translate well to film, and book readers will be disappointed it's been done differently than what was going on inside their heads when they were reading the source material.

I have a friend for instance who read the Manga first and think the animated film Akira is trash.
Because she says they didn't focus enough on Kaneda and Tetsuo's friendship instead of the whole political thing.

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, PhoenixRising:_kitty::_turtle:
PhoenixRising:_kitty::_turtle:Posted at 2023-12-01 19:57:56(21Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 50

Image error
THE LAST AIRBENDER (2010)
(here we go)

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:
B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2023-12-01 22:30:21(21Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 2255
Uploads: 158

I never read books:_:O:_:-*:_:D.....i don't want to sully the memories of a good movie:_party:_pirate:_:D

and how da heck would you know what a decent laser gun sounded like if you only read the Star Wars novels etc:_:O:_:-(:_:-(:_O:-D...."pyew pyew" for those bookworms who haven't yet seen the movies:_:-*:_:D

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Barharmar:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:Posted at 2023-12-02 10:06:55(21Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Galaxy OG
Reppoints: 4255

B4ND1T69 wrote:

and how da heck would you know what a decent laser gun sounded like if you only read the Star Wars novels etc:_:O:_:-(:_:-(:_O:-D...."pyew pyew" for those bookworms who haven't yet seen the movies:_:-*:_:D
It depends on how the author is describing the sound of a laser gun..

"suddenly the the laser came to life, with the crackling sound of electric. Within a tenth of a second it was charged and started firing in deadly bursts that whooshed when they split the impenetrable vastness of space.."

On the other hand...
In space no one would hear the sound of lasers firing unless the ships sensors are on...

Post liked by - EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:
B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2023-12-05 09:02:32(20Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

Mafketel wrote:

B4ND1T69 wrote:

"suddenly the the laser came to life, with the crackling sound of electric. Within a tenth of a second it was charged and started firing in deadly bursts that whooshed when they split the impenetrable vastness of space.."

On the other hand...
In space no one would hear the sound of lasers firing unless the ships sensors are on...
That would depend on if the author describes the ships sensors turning on first:_:O:_:O...i believe a good "Beep-Boop" should cover that one:_party
Question: Why do authors insist on making things sound soo arty farty at times when a nice quick "pyew-pyew" says it all so simply...?
:_:D

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2023-12-05 12:39:53(20Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 2054

B4ND1T69 wrote:

I never read books:_:O:_:-*:_:D.....i don't want to sully the memories of a good movie:_party:_pirate:_:D

:_:-):_:-):_:-):_:-):_:-):_:-):_:-):_:-)

Post liked by - B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2023-12-05 12:44:42(20Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

100% The Lord of the Rings was better in movie then the books then u have fight club same there. So u have movies thats are better then the book for real:_:)

Last edited by EliteZukieNr1 on 2023-12-05 12:46:15

Post liked by - B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2023-12-07 16:30:50(20Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 390

B4ND1T69 wrote:

Question: Why do authors insist on making things sound soo arty farty at times when a nice quick "pyew-pyew" says it all so simply...?
I agree, many times there are far too many pages describing  feelings, sensations memories, surroundings atmosphere when really a few sentences would have sufficed. I get that the Author wishes to embelish and draw people in but it feels like often the Author is more concerned with his own ego and trying to prove to the Author community that they can write some sort of poetic masterpiece; come on already and get to the plot!:_:-):_:P

Readers Digest: dont know if they still do them but i remember they used to publish best sellers into a condensed book, they used to sell 10`s of millions of them.  

Mafketel wrote:

On the other hand...
I love this description: descriptive yet concise which speaks volumes in just one sentence, if you write a sci fi book put me down for a copy!

TheAlgerian wrote:

Like you can take any moment in a book that could NEVER translate well to film, and book readers will be disappointed it's been done differently than what was going on inside their heads when they were reading the source material.
Yep i feel ya, some instances is true. When i was kid in the late 80`s  my friend introduced me to Dr. Who. Back then i never heard of it as the show had been off the air for many years. I started reading; got hooked;  read many of those books then a year later Dr Who was set to return with the 7th Doctor (Sylvester Mc Coy). Whilst i did enjoy the TV show it was no match for  a kids imagination. Even tho the TV show was ok , i kinda wished i never watched any of those televised Dr Whos` and that goes for all of them! (past to present).

EliteZukieNr1 wrote:

100% The Lord of the Rings was better in movie then the books then u have fight club same there. So u have movies thats are better then the book for real:_:)
Ah yeh Fight Club, never read the book, but the film was awesome; cant imagine the book is gonna beat that especially with the actors performances,, would be curious to know if anyone thought the book was better.

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
DonnaSPosted at 2023-12-14 09:57:03(19Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 0

Thanks for the information!

Post liked by - EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:
EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2023-12-14 17:29:37(19Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

realityshow wrote:

B4ND1T69 wrote:

I agree, many times there are far too many pages describing  feelings, sensations memories, surroundings atmosphere when really a few sentences would have sufficed. I get that the Author wishes to embelish and draw people in but it feels like often the Author is more concerned with his own ego and trying to prove to the Author community that they can write some sort of poetic masterpiece; come on already and get to the plot!:_:-):_:P

Readers Digest: dont know if they still do them but i remember they used to publish best sellers into a condensed book, they used to sell 10`s of millions of them.  

Mafketel wrote:

On the other hand...
I love this description: descriptive yet concise which speaks volumes in just one sentence, if you write a sci fi book put me down for a copy!

TheAlgerian wrote:

Yep i feel ya, some instances is true. When i was kid in the late 80`s  my friend introduced me to Dr. Who. Back then i never heard of it as the show had been off the air for many years. I started reading; got hooked;  read many of those books then a year later Dr Who was set to return with the 7th Doctor (Sylvester Mc Coy). Whilst i did enjoy the TV show it was no match for  a kids imagination. Even tho the TV show was ok , i kinda wished i never watched any of those televised Dr Whos` and that goes for all of them! (past to present).

EliteZukieNr1 wrote:

Ah yeh Fight Club, never read the book, but the film was awesome; cant imagine the book is gonna beat that especially with the actors performances,, would be curious to know if anyone thought the book was better.
i thought fight club book was good but not even close to movie =):_:)

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:
schuylang:_trusted_uploader::_male:Posted at 2024-01-08 19:49:29(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 105
Uploads: 208

I enjoyed the movie Stardust more than the book.

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, ToeCutter:_trusted_user::_male::_turtle:, EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
Alien4:_verified_uploader::_male:Posted at 2024-01-08 21:08:29(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 524
Uploads: 3

EliteZukieNr1 wrote:

I Beg to differ here, The Books are superior in almost every way to the films. The character changes made by peter jackson imo ruined some aspects of the movies altogether, for example in the book it was glorfindel who aided frodo and not arwen along with other changes throughout the trilogy. Altho spectacular in there own right the books are better.............. Don't get me started on The Hobbit trilogy :_facepalm

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, DinoFlicks:_male::_kitty::_turtle:, EliteZukieNr1:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
Alien4:_verified_uploader::_male:Posted at 2024-01-08 23:25:52(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 524
Uploads: 3

.........................Oh and Tom Clancy's book The Hunt for Red October is far far superior to the film, tho i do like the film :_8)

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, DinoFlicks:_male::_kitty::_turtle:, EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, miok:_admin:
EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-01-09 01:19:21(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 175
Uploads: 88

For me it depends on what I see first.
If I read the book and then watch the movie, I will generally not like the movie.
But if i watch the movie and then read the book it will be the other way around.
:_:o)

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, DinoFlicks:_male::_kitty::_turtle:, hayzee56:_moderator::_male:
PhoenixRising:_kitty::_turtle:Posted at 2024-01-09 02:26:55(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 50

The only thing that comes to mind is " the old man and the sea 1958"  
Spencer tracy was a pretty good actor and i think he did a great job on that movie.  

The last thing i read was "the shining" because i heard stephen king did not like the changes to the ending.
 Although i really liked the movie i have to agree with the author on that one.

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, DinoFlicks:_male::_kitty::_turtle:, EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2024-01-09 13:06:58(15Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

I think you can't really compare any book written before CGI was invented to the movie of said title....unless the movie was made before CGI also:_party:_party:_pirate
Any author now would prolly take into consideration how their book may be imagined onto the big screen with all the flashy works done to it:_party:_party:_:D.....and maybe, just maybe, alter their writing to be reflected later on upon the silver screen:_party:_:O:_facepalm

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, DinoFlicks:_male::_kitty::_turtle:
ToeCutter:_trusted_user::_male::_turtle:Posted at 2024-02-16 15:58:04(10Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 106

The one thing I love about movies & tv shows is that there is "No Reading Involved" Unless there is Subtitles Involved. LOL

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
Saturn5:_trusted_uploader::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2024-02-17 03:34:56(10Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 109
Uploads: 30381

There isnt a single TV series I can think of (that Ive seen anyway) thats based on a book I've read first.

Mostly becasue I've never really been a book reader.
That said, when I was much younger I did read a few sci fi books.
Mostly the EE (Doc) Smith book series (Lensmen, Skylark, Family d'Alembert & IPC).

I dont think any of those have seriously been made into TV series (or films afaik).
There was an Anime Lensmen series and/or film made in the 1980's, but I dont really count that.  :_:P

Post liked by - realityshow:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, B4ND1T69:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:

Sitefriends