Scuttlebutt - A new decentralised, P2P, social media, facebook is here!

aestheticallly:_trusted_user:Posted at 2019-01-31 00:38:05(282Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 5
Uploads: 3

Hi folks.
Well.......I was listening to a podcast the other day called 'Steal this show'. It's sometimes mentioned on torrent freak.

I feel that the guy who does it is pretty good, and he discusses topics like: torrenting, bit-coin, internet tracking, internet community, & alternate film-making etc etc. So, the specific episode I listened to covered a new initiative called - Scuttlebutt.

The basic idea is that the people who make it were looking for a decentralised, P2P based,  chatting and people-connecting app, one that to me is reminiscent of the news groups [use-net] of the early 1980's.

There's a pretty wild, weird, and intelligent wonderful bunch of people making it and on it. Devs, programmers, community organisers, new thinkers, [and - just regular everyday folk like me] - people trying to realise  new visions, of now and the future - all related to and through computing, community and this app.

Now......I'm on there, and have been for a few days to check it out. Amazingly, it does seem for real! The notion is - it's a meeting place that is private, decentralised [no central server to break], and it's a not for profit, open source type of thing [no ads, clean UI etc.] You have to install a program - 'Patchwork' [which I did] and found it no hass [it's small]. There's also a range of other softwares [more complex] to access scuttlebutt too, but I found Patchwork to be a 2 to 3 click simple set-up [easy].

Finally, it is described as a secure platform that utilises encryption and hash keys. [personally, I'm sick of copyright restrictions and big brother, and wish to to interact with people of a similar mind-space - so that's why I'm giving it a go 😉 There's a bit of a learning curve to using it, but not too bad for folk like us 😊

Interested?

Well the podcast is here https://stealthisshow.com/s04e04/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss

So...........  you can make up your own mind about it all and if you are interested - there is a starter web-page here https://www.scuttlebutt.nz/ that pretty much explains everything and gets you going  😊

*I am not connected to the project other than general personal interest - aestheticallly

Last edited by aestheticallly on 2019-01-31 00:42:06

Post liked by - EVILTEEN777:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:

Sitefriends

User Art

To submit your artwork, follow this link.