LG TV Audio not playing on some downloads?

johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 02:17:18(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 0
Uploads: 0

Hi,

First-time post so hoping I have placed it in the correct section?

I have an LG 65 UB98OT-TA which for whatever reason does not play audio in some downloads (TV), but others are fine (Movies).

When I download a file I struggle to see the information supplied as to what type of file it is other than being an MKV, which I realise is just the container holding the files?

They all play in VLC, but when I transfer them to the portable USB HDD and try to watch, the video is great but no audio. I also tried converting one MKV file via VLC to MPEG4 but the old PC struggled a bit and I don't think that is something I want to do again.

I tried to do a search for what codecs LG support but to be honest most of this is getting beyond my level of understanding. Believe me the older I get the more I just don't completely make sense of it:_:??

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, miok:_admin:, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:
miok:_admin:Posted at 2021-03-07 02:28:23(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Master Lurker
Reppoints: 5770
Uploads: 3449

johnmw1 wrote:

Hi,

First-time post so hoping I have placed it in the correct section?

I have an LG 65 UB98OT-TA which for whatever reason does not play audio in some downloads (TV), but others are fine (Movies).

When I download a file I struggle to see the information supplied as to what type of file it is other than being an MKV, which I realise is just the container holding the files?

They all play in VLC, but when I transfer them to the portable USB HDD and try to watch, the video is great but no audio. I also tried converting one MKV file via VLC to MPEG4 but the old PC struggled a bit and I don't think that is something I want to do again.

I tried to do a search for what codecs LG support but to be honest most of this is getting beyond my level of understanding. Believe me the older I get the more I just don't completely make sense of it:_:??

Cheers,
John
You were probably on the right track John.
You should try to find out what audio formats your TV supports and try to download video encodes that use that format.
Most uploaders add MediaInfo/metadata to their descriptions so it shouldn't be hard to make sure your downloading a supported audio format.
You might also check for firmware or other updates for your TV.

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:, BigJ0554:_moderator::_sitelover::_sun:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, johnmw1
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 02:38:26(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

miok wrote:

You should try to find out what audio formats your TV supports and try to download video encodes that use that format.
Most uploaders add MediaInfo/metadata to their descriptions so it shouldn't be hard to make sure your downloading a supported audio format.
Thanks for the reply.

I did a search on LG earlier today but again either couldn't find it or did not understand what their audio formats are. I'm also running the latest software update.

I shall have to check out the media info in more detail.

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, miok:_admin:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 02:48:45(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

I did find this page on the LG website if this helps?

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789

Cheers,
John

Last edited by johnmw1 on 2021-03-07 02:49:58

Post liked by - miok:_admin:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
bigboy12:_moderator::_male:Posted at 2021-03-07 02:49:15(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
The Axeman
Reppoints: 8931

johnmw1 wrote:

miok wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I did a search on LG earlier today but again either couldn't find it or did not understand what their audio formats are. I'm also running the latest software update.

I shall have to check out the media info in more detail.

Cheers,
John
Having sold LG tvs in the past this is something I have never heard of. Suggest you call the LG customer service number.I n the past they were excellent & am sure they will be able to resolve the issue.

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, johnmw1
RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2021-03-07 04:02:05(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 2095
Uploads: 303

The big problem here is the TV don't support AAC audio codec, as this is common one
on TV uploads it would explain your problem.
You will probably find AC3 sound format is fine, lacking AAC will limit what you can play,
If you have kodi box and cheap sound bar this could sort the problem for you.

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, PaladinNites:_vip::_trusted_user::_male:, Deep61:_moderator:, miok:_admin:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, johnmw1, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:, BigJ0554:_moderator::_sitelover::_sun:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 07:06:56(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

RedBaron58 wrote:

The big problem here is the TV don't support AAC audio codec, as this is common one
on TV uploads it would explain your problem.
You will probably find AC3 sound format is fine, lacking AAC will limit what you can play,
If you have kodi box and cheap sound bar this could sort the problem for you.
Thanks, RedBaron58,

I have finally learnt something today, and also was never aware to look at media info to see what format the codecs were in.

Have attempted to download again with an AC3 format, so fingers crossed. :_B)

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, miok:_admin:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:
Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:Posted at 2021-03-07 08:38:55(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Galaxy OG
Reppoints: 4245

Also a possibility is to use a chromecast from the third generation is supports AAC

Quote:

Lastly, for those inclined to wonder about video and audio codecs, the new Chromecast supports H.264 1080p, H.264 720 x 480, MPEG-4, VP8 video and AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/WAV, Vorbis audio files.
 specs
The TV itself does support AAC...
BUT the usb port does not and that's why it doesn't work.
If you have the possibility to install apps you could try to use a player app.
And as the TV has Miracast you can try that way.
Also you can connect a laptop to the TV which should solve the problem as well because you use the player on the laptop.

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, miok:_admin:, johnmw1, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:Posted at 2021-03-07 21:22:18(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Galaxy OG
Reppoints: 4245

It just popped to mind.....

I've got an LG which is 11yrs old and it plays AAC.
So yours should definitely.
I have always seem to have problems with the DDP5.1, H265 and AC3.
But like I said it's an old one...
Best way to find out is by trying the different audio codex mentioned here and see which ones work.

Post liked by - ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, miok:_admin:, johnmw1, GodAndUlster:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun::_turtle:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 22:04:33(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

Hi, and thanks to everybody for your support.

Well, still no joy as yet. This is the media info from yesterdays attempt.................................

MEDIAINFO
Container = Matroska (mkv)
Duration = 00:48:04.832
Filesize = 2 GiB
Overall bitrate = 6 102 kb/s
Video
Codec info = AVC High@L3.1 | V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Resolution = 1280x720
Display AR = 1.778 | 16:9
Bitrate = 6 000 kb/s
Framerate = CFR 25.000
Color space = YUV
Chroma subsampling = 4:2:0
Encoder =
Audio
Codec info = E-AC-3 | A_EAC3
Channels = 2
Bitrate = CBR 224 kb/s
Samplerate = 48.0 kHz
Language = English

Cheeers,
John :_:?

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, PaladinNites:_vip::_trusted_user::_male:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, miok:_admin:
battlestar:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie:Posted at 2021-03-07 23:01:32(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 847
Uploads: 6586

johnmw1 wrote:

E_AC3 is the newer dolby format.
I'm not sure why LG would not handle it.

Then again "LG webOS TV" does seem to have some limitations ;

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, GodAndUlster:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun::_turtle:, johnmw1, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-07 23:22:48(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

battlestar wrote:

johnmw1 wrote:

E_AC3 is the newer dolby format.
I'm not sure why LG would not handle it.

Then again "LG webOS TV" does seem to have some limitations ;
Hi battlestar,

Yes, I read that Lg link but it's all a bit of mumbo jumbo to me. If E_AC3 is a newer Dolby format, what format should I be looking for instead?

Cheers,
John

johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-08 00:09:46(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

I'm wondering if I could play it through the X box?

Cheers,
John

johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-08 05:07:11(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

johnmw1 wrote:

I'm wondering if I could play it through the X box?

Cheers,
John
That would be a no to that also!

I tried one of the episodes that I converted via VLC yesterday and it was so choppy with the sound I gave up on it but it did work.

Having looked at all available episodes to download, all seem to be in this newer format for some reason, so it looks like I'm snookered.

Cheers,
John

RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2021-03-08 13:22:51(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

As I said in my earlier posting if you can afford a kodi box (30 euro) this could
sort all your problems as they will just about play anything. If you are looking
to play from USB make sure that feature is included.

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, johnmw1, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Soup:_trusted_user:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, miok:_admin:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:
Soup:_trusted_user:Posted at 2021-03-08 18:25:12(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 479
Uploads: 76

Yes like RB stated use an android box for kodi usage, for example, easytone android 7 box supports h265 4k and 3d, also audio formats of  aac, mp3, dts, flac, wma etc etc and adding to kodi is relatively straightforward also invest as stated in a good soundbar,  before you know it you'll be watching anything and everything

Good luck

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, johnmw1, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, miok:_admin:
battlestar:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie:Posted at 2021-03-08 22:09:13(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 847
Uploads: 6586

+1 for an Android box - I have been using them for years.
I currently have two (one is an A95X, the other is older, not sure what that is).

I run Universal Media Server on a PC to serve up all my content around the house.

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, johnmw1, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-09 00:07:29(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

Hi,

Thanks, guys and girls for sticking with me this far.

I have sorted my problem by downloading Handbrake and converting the episodes to ACC format. PIA doing it but at least I have hopefully been able to complete the last 4 episodes of this series. :_B)

Also as a few of you have suggested, I will look more closely into purchasing an Android box suitable for here in Australia. I looked at a couple of different brands on Amazon, but the reviews are very hit and miss.

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Soup:_trusted_user:
RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2021-03-09 01:41:32(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

If you  re-encoding you might want consider "AviDemux", it's free software the same as
Handbrake but have the advantage of allowing you to re-encode the sound but allowing
you to striaght copy the video therefore saving you a lot of time.
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, johnmw1, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-03-09 06:55:17(159Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

RedBaron58 wrote:

If you  re-encoding you might want consider "AviDemux", it's free software the same as
Handbrake but have the advantage of allowing you to re-encode the sound but allowing
you to striaght copy the video therefore saving you a lot of time.
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
Again RB, many thanks for your help, I shall have a look at it.

I will probably be offline for a few days as I'm back on shift tomorrow. :_yuk

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
JesusFan1984:_male:Posted at 2021-04-01 16:06:20(156Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

This is a very common problem with TVs, and even some media players.
For anyone not wanting to spend extra money on an expensive external media player, this is what I do:

1. Use a free program called "TEncoder" - https://www.videohelp.com/software/TEncoder
2. Add all video files I want to convert
3. Use the following settings for video: Codec - XviD, Video Bitrate - 4000, Common sizes - Original, FPS - Same as source, Aspect ratio - Keep, Container - AVI (Encoder - FFMpeg)
4. Use the following settings for audio: Codec - MP3, Audio Bitrate - 192, Channels - Same as source, S. Rate - Same as source
5. Output Path: The USB stick which goes into the TV.

I have saved the settings above to a profile, making it super-easy to encode future videos. These settings are highly compatible for almost all devices, including rubbish old smartphones and tablets. However, you may need to tinker with the audio S. (sample) rate and video size (resolution) in some rare cases. Also, because XviD is easy to encode, it gets done very quickly compared to more advanced codecs. The quality is almost as good as the original.

Sounds like a pain to do, but it's very quick and convenient, and easier/cheaper than buying an external box that'll need to be connected over HDMI.

Here's a screenshot of the settings:

Image error

Post liked by - Chelsea:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, johnmw1, ShhweetSkunk:_blocked:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
johnmw1Posted at 2021-04-05 08:54:21(155Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

Hi JF, :_B)

Thanks for that heads-up, I'm having a play with the program right this moment.

Cheers,
John

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:

Sitefriends

User Art

To submit your artwork, follow this link.