MKV issues

pebblesPosted at 2018-10-09 16:02:47(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 0
Uploads: 0

Hi Guys,
When I download an MKV file, it always plays perfect on my PC.
Unfortunately they don't always play on my TV.
I have read that there are different "flavours" of MKV is there any way of telling what "flovour" of MKV I am getting.
Regards,
Pebbles

Last edited by pebbles on 2018-10-09 16:03:09

LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:Posted at 2018-10-09 16:22:11(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 865

Check the torrent for the media info to do a comparison of files that do work and files that don't some players don't contain all codecs and can't be updated while others do. I only have an issue with sound on my bedroom tv with certain MKV files you can also download the app free https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Last edited by LRS on 2018-10-09 16:24:04

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, bigboy12:_moderator::_male:
bigboy12:_moderator::_male:Posted at 2018-10-09 16:28:13(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
The Axeman
Reppoints: 9071

pebbles wrote:

Hi Guys,
When I download an MKV file, it always plays perfect on my PC.
Unfortunately they don't always play on my TV.
I have read that there are different "flavours" of MKV is there any way of telling what "flovour" of MKV I am getting.
Regards,
Pebbles
A friend of mine who works on computers had me download AVC. I haven't had any issues with MKV  yet.Been using for about a year.

Post liked by - Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2018-10-09 17:14:17(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 835
Uploads: 4931

First of all, Your TV manual should list the supported codecs, containers and size/bitrate restrictions. after that go with LRS and check the difference. Mediainfo is the best way to determine.

And it would be good if you do provide, TV product name and model, so we can easily find a solution for you, Because sometimes changing codec profile may solve the problem. after all, an MKV is just a container format, holding video, audio, image or subtitle files in it. :)

Post liked by - LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:
pebblesPosted at 2018-10-09 17:32:16(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 0

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your quick replies, mine is a Samsung TV and I found a link to supported media file types, but I don't think it helps:-

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050186/

I've downloaded MediaInfo and will try and find which ones it doesn't like.

Regards,

Paul

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:
Fastclaw:_blocked:Posted at 2018-10-09 17:43:04(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 80
Uploads: 101

I have a Samsung TV and have had no problems playing MKV files on a USB stick......also see if your Bluray/DVD player has a usb slot,,, it may play through that

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:
LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:Posted at 2018-10-09 17:54:25(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

pebbles wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your quick replies, mine is a Samsung TV and I found a link to supported media file types, but I don't think it helps:-

Regards,

Paul
Certain encoder/uploader tend to use the same settings for all there work so you might be able to dodge the unsupoted files and as SaM said MKV is just a container so different files can have different formats within DTS audio was my issue and you can often find them tagged in the torrent titles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

Last edited by LRS on 2018-10-09 17:56:45

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2018-10-09 20:52:56(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 835
Uploads: 4931

pebbles wrote:

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Paul
LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend: is 100% correct. Samsung tech answer > This is probably because MKV files are with DTS audio and few Samsung smart TV have bad compatibility with DTS audios. To play MKV file on Samsung Smart TV successfully, you'd better transform MKV to Samsung TV most compatible MP4 format in case the codec in MKV file is not accepted by Samsung TV.

Furthermore: Can Samsung TV Play MKV Files. When it comes to playing MKV files, you can either play them by downloading codecs or on compatible media players. ... This problem arises if the MKV file contains any audio codec, subtitle or image that is not supported by Samsung TV, it cannot be played.

Easily play Mkv files on Samsung, if Video: H.264 (h.265) Audio: Aac. (Example)

Solution: Some software such like ''Leawo Video Ultimate'' Or ''Video Converter Ultimate'' gives you an easy way to solve MKV failed to open in Samsung TV issue by converting MKV files to Samsung TV more supporting H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format no matter what models your Samsung TV are.

This software famous for converting MKV files for Samsung Smart TV.  http://www.primoshare.com/video-converter-ultimate/
Select these outputs. 720p or 1080p. https://i.imgur.com/XAysJhj.jpg That's all you're good to go.

Lastly, Using converters is a last solution, so don't go with convert process, Because you can check mediainfo before downloading any torrent, just make sure format, codec, audio supported with your smart tv, then download it, As you know you can have different copies under each movie torrent, that means a bunch of them to have a different container, codec, settings, bitrate, etc! Chose which supported to your smart tv and play directly via usb, no need to convert them.  

Example: both of these can easily play on your TV.
https://torrentgalaxy.org/torrents-details.php?id=39105
https://torrentgalaxy.org/torrents-details.php?id=34824

Cheers! :)

'' Fun part: And you guys might not believe, on my Orient 32 LCD, i can play MKV files only if my 16 GB USB formatted under NTFS, with FAT-32 it won't play any MKV file, it's weird because this model cannot play mkv files but i found a solution myself after troubleshooting. lol '' :D :P

Last edited by Prom3th3uS on 2018-10-09 22:26:11

Post liked by - LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:, pebbles, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Ksenia:_admin::_female::_junkie:
Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-10-10 07:52:58(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 5795

ooh i have been through this process for my brother.. his external hard drive wont play MKV files but if he takes to his friends they play no problem on his TV . Also had the same problem with a PS4 when we first got one some years ago, they would only play certain file format as the PS4 was Fat 32... My tv can be hit and miss and also had problem with the sound it goes off but i find if i rewind and fast forward it comes back on

Thought this might be useful to try as it says it does support MKV  and you can  can stream to a lot of devices and it is free :)

http://serviio.org/

Post liked by - Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:Posted at 2018-10-10 09:26:36(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

The only trouble with USB and Hard drives formated to FAT 32 is you can't transfer files that are larger than 4GB some Tvs also have issues with hard drives that are are very large 1TB + and Read Only

Post liked by - Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-10-10 15:17:30(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

LRS wrote:

The only trouble with USB and Hard drives formated to FAT 32 is you can't transfer files that are larger than 4GB some Tvs also have issues with hard drives that are are very large 1TB + and Read Only
ooh the joys.... bring bad dvds lol , my parents still love their dvd player and even that took some time for me to show them how to use bless them. I still have to convert movies onto disc so they can watch and only one movie per disc lol xx

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, RonthePirate:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male:, LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:
RonthePirate:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male:Posted at 2018-10-10 17:08:07(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 360
Uploads: 1

I have older B/R players.  One is 10 years, the other is 5 years.
That may be a reason I have never had a problem
playing ANY format on my TV's.
I too have a Samsung, about 15 years old. But I also have a Sharp 50"
only one year old.

And Ange1, I do DVD's also. I just prefer that media.
Easier for us dinosaurs to keep track of.

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:Posted at 2018-10-10 23:56:23(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Galaxy OG
Reppoints: 4255

I've got a 9 yrs old LG, reading all formats except 265. But has problems with different extensions like ddp5.1.
Have a Sony 5 yrs old which won't read any srt files.

Solution (for me) use a laptop and play it on there and connect it with audio and vga to the tv.
Works like a charm.

But the best solution which works always

Or just simply download the ones that do work.

Post liked by - RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:
Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-10-11 19:11:40(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

RonthePirate wrote:

I have older B/R players.  One is 10 years, the other is 5 years.
That may be a reason I have never had a problem
playing ANY format on my TV's.
I too have a Samsung, about 15 years old. But I also have a Sharp 50"
only one year old.

And Ange1, I do DVD's also. I just prefer that media.
Easier for us dinosaurs to keep track of.
oooh i still like my dvds too hunni :) lol bless and your not a dinosaur remember your a recycled teenager :) xx

Post liked by - Enjoyment4me:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-10-11 19:14:00(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

Mafketel wrote:

I've got a 9 yrs old LG, reading all formats except 265. But has problems with different extensions like ddp5.1.

Solution (for me) use a laptop and play it on there and connect it with audio and vga to the tv.
Works like a charm.

ooh thats what i do sometimes hunni via laptop to tv :) it is so much easier :) xx

Post liked by - Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:
RedBaron58:_vip::_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover:Posted at 2018-10-11 21:50:02(289Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 2090
Uploads: 303

Mafketel wrote:

Works like a charm.

Another solution is if you have a kodi box this will often play those difficult formats that your TV won't, just insert the USB
in the kodi and it should play fine. With kodi boxes under the 30 euro at present it could pay for itself in a short period of time

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, LRS:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:

Sitefriends