Why You Should Seed Downloaded Torrents

Angelina:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2018-08-12 15:17:42(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
Reppoints: 3106
Uploads: 0

Why you should seed downloaded torrents

How does torrentingen work?

The principal of torrent exchange through a torrent client when downloaders also seed:

Image error

The uploader posts the torrent here on Torrent Galaxy and is seeding the torrent on his torrent client. Downloaders get the .torrent file from Torrent Galaxy. A .torrentfile is a little file that tells your Torrentclient where to find the torrent.

Your torrentclient will find and start downloading the files of the uploader. Sometimes downloaders also seed the parts of the torrent they have to other downloaders during downloading.

After downloading the entire torrent the downloader can now help seed the torrent. Throught the .torrentfile other torrentclients can find the files from both the uploader and from the person who has downloaded the complete torrent. The more people seeding back, the faster other downloaders can download the file as there are more place to find parts of the torrent.

What is seeding?

Seeding means leaving the torrent open in your torrent client after completing and making it available for other users to download. This is very important to keep a torrent alive.

Why should you seed?

The torrent system counts on people seeding. If there are people seeding there's no problem. But if there is no one seeding, a torrent will no longer be available to download. The Torrentclient will be unable to find to files or will not be able to download 100% of the files.

So please always seed a torrent to at least a ratio of 1:1 in order to give other users also the chance to download a torrent. It's also a curtecy to the uploader.

Uploaders try to seed their torrents as much as possible, but when they upload a lot of different torrents it gets hard to keep seeding all their work. That's why they count on their downloaders to help seeding and keep their work alive.

Also check these threads if you want to know more about how torrentingen works:

• Swarms, seeding, leeching, being a peer
  • How to download on Torrent Galaxy

Image error

•  
    Post liked by - ArchM, Balerion:_trusted_user::_male::_turtle:, Jetrom:_male:, eyez:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Garthock:_moderator:, panosol:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, nexamis:_verified_uploader::_male::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, sp3ll:_trusted_uploader::_junkie:, BluudNut:_trusted_user::_male::_turtle:, Tml14smoke:_male:, GodAndUlster:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun::_turtle:, Witness, miok:_admin:, square, SweetSkunk:_blocked:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, bombegranate:_trusted_user::_junkie::_turtle:, lostmyticket:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male:, cRAYz:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
    zeke23:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-08-12 16:04:43(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 1365
    Uploads: 1449

and waiting to seed makes it hard to verify your uploads and its a problem for mods we do not need

Post liked by - Garthock:_moderator:, miok:_admin:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Angelina:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    Bobpa:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2018-08-12 16:12:04(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 215

Image error:P

Post liked by - gibril, Garthock:_moderator:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, miok:_admin:, square, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Angelina:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    lostmyticket:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male:Posted at 2018-08-12 16:39:05(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 250

Or as the saying goes... Seed until you bleed.....  

Seeding allows torrents to be downloaded more quickly, so please seed..

Post liked by - gibril, Garthock:_moderator:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, miok:_admin:, square, Angelina:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    bombegranate:_trusted_user::_junkie::_turtle:Posted at 2018-08-12 18:00:50(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 360

Is there a recommended ratio to seed to? At least 1,00 i think... It is hard to keep seeding a lot of torrents. I don't know how much bandwidth the users have.

I have 200/20 at the moment...

EDIT: Angelina mentioned a 1:1 ratio... I didn't read properly... my bad.

Last edited by bombegranate on 2018-08-12 18:02:04

Post liked by - Garthock:_moderator:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, miok:_admin:
    Angelina:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2018-08-12 18:07:05(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 3106

bombegranate:_trusted_user::_junkie::_turtle:, yeah 1:1 ratio of sharing would be great.

I know it's hard to seed with a low bandwidth (I have one myself), but try to seed as much as possible to help uploaders and downloaders keep torrents alive.

Post liked by - Balerion:_trusted_user::_male::_turtle:, Garthock:_moderator:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, miok:_admin:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
    bombegranate:_trusted_user::_junkie::_turtle:Posted at 2018-08-12 18:32:01(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 360

Ok, thanks for clarification!

Post liked by - Garthock:_moderator:, miok:_admin:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:
    Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:Posted at 2018-08-12 19:01:04(296Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 5795

ooh awesome thread Angelina :) its great to share back even a little helps but the more the merrier for peeps :) xx

Post liked by - Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, Garthock:_moderator:, miok:_admin:
    Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:Posted at 2020-01-06 11:31:48(223Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 460

hi, how do i increase my reppoints ?
    i have seeded 30 gig in 4 days, does that improve my reppoints ?

Last edited by Mandalorian2008 on 2020-01-06 11:37:24

Post liked by - zuluDROOG:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, gizasphinx:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_sun:
    SweetSkunk:_blocked:Posted at 2020-01-06 11:54:08(223Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 784
    Uploads: 133

Mandalorian2008 wrote:

Not directly, no.

However your question & impressive numbers above, mean..     +5 points from me (and maybe others aswell)

Give this a read:  https://torrentgalaxy.to/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=40  B)

Post liked by - gizasphinx:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_sun:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, miok:_admin:, square
    sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2020-01-06 14:35:22(223Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 2200
    Uploads: 416

Mandalorian2008 wrote:

Reppoints are given to you by other members.... I'll help you on your way also with a sneaky little +5 :)

Post liked by - gizasphinx:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_sun:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, SweetSkunk:_blocked:, miok:_admin:, square
    jaxe:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_boob::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2020-01-06 15:28:11(223Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 6823

Mandalorian2008 wrote:

I gave you 5 points too.

Anyone whose handle is Mandalorian understands the meaning of This Is The Way!

Post liked by - PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:, gizasphinx:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_sun:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, SweetSkunk:_blocked:, miok:_admin:, square
    battlestar:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_junkie:Posted at 2020-01-06 17:48:15(223Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 842
    Uploads: 6617

Mandalorian2008 wrote:

This is a public site, we dont track upload (or download, or ratio).

Post liked by - KlopHashTag, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, gizasphinx:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_sun:, Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, SweetSkunk:_blocked:, square, Deep61:_moderator:, Mafketel:_super_admin::_male:, miok:_admin:
    Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2021-09-10 07:26:31(135Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 655

When you seed

red is 0 ratio
    green is 1 i think?
    yellow green for 2 ratio
    grey 20 ratio up
    purple/violet is for 30 ratios up and i love that color ahhah

TGx should have a seeding banner/sig just like on Kat where it shows how many days u are seeding to motivate people to seed :_love:_party:_pirate:_O:-D

Post liked by - L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    KillerJane:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2021-09-14 06:05:29(134Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 3670

Mandalorian2008 wrote:

U need some +5 reviews , have to win in some competitions  ... must be active member   :_ghost

Last edited by KillerJane on 2021-09-14 19:44:18

Post liked by - Mandalorian2008:_trusted_user::_male::_kitty::_turtle:, L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, TimmyBoy91:_blocked:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:
    PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2021-10-03 19:59:04(132Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 160

I've heard some odd reasons over the years for not seeding, hitting a cap is the only one that makes sense to me.

I've had my laptop on seeding for nearly 63 days straight and only did a restart before that. I don't leave my laptop off. Its not my old laptop. Its my only laptop, no problems.

I have over 150 torrents running, some for close to a year, also no issue.

You won't burn out a laptop or PC by leaving it on.

Image error

Image error

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, TimmyBoy91:_blocked:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
    Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2021-10-03 20:00:59(132Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

nice one =), do you have an external fan in your laptop?

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:
    TimmyBoy91:_blocked:Posted at 2021-10-03 20:04:48(132Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 332

Dronska wrote:

My laptop can now again decided to turn off saying its over heating.. when it actually isn't. Windows 10 just make fake reports ect.

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
    PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2021-10-03 20:55:43(132Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 160

Dronska wrote:

No, just a bog standard Lenovo laptop with MX-Linux running on it.

I had other Linux set ups on other laptops that were really light or stuff like Arch Linux for bleeding edge software.
    MX-Linux is based on Debian so its stable and its set up to be user friendly, it doesn't need any fiddling like some other distros do. I haven't got the time or patience to do that these days.

I haven't ran windows since windows 7

Edit: I've had this laptop and been using this like this for over 4 and a half years so its not just recently

Last edited by PenguinPirate on 2021-10-03 20:59:16

Post liked by - Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
    sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2021-10-03 21:22:19(132Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

:_pirate A happy pirate is a seeding pirate :_pirate

Post liked by - L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, PenguinPirate:_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_male::_sitelover::_kitty::_sun:
    L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2022-02-01 15:40:24(114Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 
    Reppoints: 365

I'll try to seed as much as possible, although running out of space quickly so can't keep files for longer periods.

Just been keeping to get ratio at least to 3.000, sometimes more.

Post liked by - Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:
    L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2022-04-06 15:05:22(105Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

And to add to this thread ...

I purchased a seedbox ... love it ! :_B)

Also 2 laptops which one is seeding 24/7 and the other most of the day.
    Big season packs but i try to seed them in changing order cause home connection isn't lightning fast to seed them all at once.

For example 24/7 running laptop's client shows after 100 days running : download 2.8TB / upload 8.9TB.

Another one 2.12TB download / 4.53TB upload 60.5 days uptime.

Last edited by L4t3l4 on 2022-04-07 14:20:54

Post liked by - ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:
    sherb:_trusted_uploader::_sitefriend::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2022-04-06 19:47:35(105Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

L4t3l4 wrote:

Big season packs but i try to seed them in changing order cause home connection isn't lightning fast to seed them all at once.

For example 24/7 running laptop's client shows after 100 days running : download 2.8TB / upload 8.9TB.
    I'm assuming you've added them to your seedbox, no need to seed em from the lappy.

Post liked by - L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:, Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:, ROBBREDD:_moderator::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_sun:, Ange1:_vip::_trusted_user::_sitefriend::_female::_sitelover::_sun:, Prom3th3uS:_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    Dronska:_trusted_user::_male::_junkie::_kitty::_sun:Posted at 2022-04-07 14:08:30(105Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

L4t3l4 wrote:

nice one, time to let your laptop sleep :D

Post liked by - L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:
    L4t3l4:_trusted_user::_male::_sitelover::_junkie::_kitty::_sun::_turtle:Posted at 2022-04-07 14:21:54(105Wks ago) Report Permalink URL 

sherb wrote:

L4t3l4 wrote:

I'm assuming you've added them to your seedbox, no need to seed em from the lappy.
    I seed different ones in seedbox than lappies ... :_:D

Image error

Last edited by L4t3l4 on 2022-04-07 14:23:47

Sitefriends